Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 6: 12 Days of Frugal Stockpile Meals

What better way to enjoy a Friday dinner frugally than by having homemade pizza?! We also had organic lemonade to drink and brownies for dessert:


Here's the cost breakdown for the ingredients:
  • Fleischmann's yeast - $0.10 (used 1/3 of a $0.29 package)
  • Wegmans flour - $0.27 (used 5 cups out of a $0.99 5-lb.(18.25 cups) bag)
  • Aldi's vegetable oil - $0.22 (I can't find the receipt but I think I paid $1.28 for the 48-oz. bottle, and I used 4 oz. for the pizza and 4 oz. for the brownies)
  • Muir Glen organic tomato sauce - free
  • Tops mushrooms - $0.50 (used half of a $1.00 package)
  • Weight Watchers shredded mozzarella cheese - $0.88 (used half of a $1.75 package)
  • Pillsbury Funfetti brownies - $0.17 (The mix was free but I used 2 eggs from a $1.04 dozen. I included the cost of the oil above)
  • Santa Cruz organic lemonade - free
  • I also used a bit of salt and oregano from my pantry for the pizza, but I used so little that I'm pretty sure the cost wouldn't change.
 Total cost of a meal for a family of 5: $2.14 ($0.43 per person).

The recipe I used for the pizza dough can be found here.  I used the "Self-rising pizza crust" recipe, but I doubled it to make 2 pizzas (1 cheese and 1 cheese and mushrooms). 

Stay tuned for tomorrow's frugal meal...

Do you have a different homemade pizza dough recipe you've used and liked?  I'd love to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment