Wednesday, February 1, 2012

1/29 - 2/4: Tops & Wegmans weekly shopping trip for $32

My pantry, refrigerator, and freezer are pretty well-stocked, but I did shop at Wegmans and Tops yesterday to pick up a couple of necessities, a few good deals, and use up some coupons that were expiring and didn't want to go to waste.  I don't have a hard and fast grocery budget, but I generally like to stay below $75 per week and if I can stay under $50 I'm excited. I was thrilled with spending $30 yesterday!  Here is what I brought home and the cost breakdown:

Wegmans

1 gallon Milk - $1.99
No coupon, but I needed it (actually, with the way 2 of my kids drink milk it would probably be cheaper to buy the cow!)

4 bags Chex Mix - $0.79 each
On sale for $1.99 each, used 4 $0.60 coupons (double to $1.20) printed from the Betty Crocker website but longer seem to be available (sorry!)

1 bag Goya navy beans - $1.79
Not on sale and no coupon, but I've been itching to make bean soup using a ham bone I have in my freezer (it's cooking in the crockpot now!)

4 pouches StarKist tuna - $0.39 each
Priced at $1.39, used 4 $0.50 coupons (double to $1) no longer available at redplum.com (sorry again!)
Note: This isn't the best deal on tuna, but my stockpile is low and the coupon was going to expire.

The retail cost was $19.80 and I paid $8.50 after Shoppers Club and coupons.


Tops
Transaction 1

10 cups Dannon Light & Fit yogurt - $0.40 each
On sale 20/$10, used $1 off 10 coupon from the 1/29 SmartSource coupon insert

6 canisters of Crystal Light - $1.50 each, see note
On sale 2/$4 (check the shelf, though, because some were 2/$5 and 2/$6), used 3 $1 off 2 coupons printed from Walmart's website
Note:  This ended up being an awesome deal!  The ad featured this as part of a "Buy 6 select items, get a $3 Catalina coupon" deal. There is also another Catalina deal going on where you receive a $4 Catalina if you buy 5 Crystal Lights. Surprisingly, both coupons printed out!  And to top it off, my receipt also shows that I earned an extra 200 bonus gas points from buying these.  When you factor in both Catalina coupons and the gas discount, these became a money maker!

3 boxes Mueller's pasta - FREE
On sale 10/$10, used 3 $0.55 coupons printed from their website (must be a new registration)

2 bottles (2 liter) Coke Zero - FREE (plus tax & deposit)
$1.67 each (I swear the sign said if you buy quantities of 5, they are $1.11 otherwise they are $1.89 each), used 2 $0.99 coupons ("double" to $1.67) printed from Facebook (it looks like from the wall comments that the coupon is no longer available)

The retail cost was $38.99 and I paid $13.82 after coupons and discounts.  Besides the $3  and $4 Catalina coupons from the Crystal Light, I also had Catalinas print out for $3 off a box of Clairol Natural Instincts hair color, $0.50 off a Pantene product, and $0.55 off a half gallon of any Silk.

Transaction 2

6 cans of Musco Pearls small black olives - $0.25 each
On sale 10/$10, used 3 $1.50 off 2 coupons printed from here (click the "Pearls coupon link at the bottom.  Unfortunately, these only allow 1 print per computer)

4 boxes Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies cereal - $1.50 each
On sale 5/$10, used 2 $1 off 2 coupons printed from here (registration necessary)
Note: These all had peelie coupons on them for $1.00 off milk when you buy any 3 Kellogg's cereals 8.7 oz. or more).  Unfortunately, I had already gone to Wegmans and bought milk.  Luckily they don't expire until 6/30/12. Also, I didn't notice until now that there is a $1 off 2 Apple Jacks or Froot Loops coupon available to print at the above link, and they are also part of the sale.

The retail cost was $26.70 and I paid $3.50 after discounts and coupons (I used the $4 Catalina from transaction 1).

Transaction 3

4 bottles (2 liter) Coke Zero - FREE (plus tax & deposit)
Priced at $1.67 each, used 4 $0.99 coupons ("double" to $1.67) printed from Facebook (no longer available - sorry!)

2 bags of Chex mix - $0.90 each
On sale BOGO ($2.99), used $0.60 coupon no longer available (it was cheaper at Wegmans, but I realized when I was in Tops that I had 1 more coupon and I wasn't going back to Wegmans just for another bag of Chex mix.  Plus, I earned gas points by redeeming the coupon at Tops).

1 bag Grande tortillas chips - $1.50
On sale 2/$5, used the $1 coupon from the 1/15 SmartSource (I think?) coupon insert

3 packages Knorr/Lipton pasta sides - $0.67 each
On sale 10/$10, used the $1 off 3 coupon from the 1/29 Red Plum coupon insert

3 jars Ragu pasta sauce - $1.08 each
On sale 2/$3, used the $1.25 off 3 coupon from the 1/29 Red Plum coupon insert
Note: I generally don't like paying more than $1 per jar for pasta sauce, but I bought alfredo sauce and am willing to pay a little bit more for that.

The retail cost was $29.57 and I paid $6.74 after discounts and coupons (I also used the $3 Catalina coupon from the first transaction).

Overall, I paid $32.56 for $115.06 worth of groceries, for a savings of approximately 72%.  I'm stocked up on soda and snacks for the Super Bowl, but I will probably head back later this week to grab a couple of frozen pizzas (I noticed Tony's pizzas are on sale and I have some tearpad coupons, which will only add a few dollars to my weekly total).  All in all, a cheap shopping week for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment