Saturday, February 11, 2012

Money Saving Challenge - week 6 in review

I learned earlier this week that blogger Precious at Frugal Makes Cents has decided to shut down her blog.  While another blogger may possibly take over hosting the 2012 Money Saving Challenge, for now I'm going to continue to list my money saving accomplishments here as a way to keep myself accountable and possibly give my readers new ideas.  After all, I still need to save money this year!  Here are the things I did this week to save money:
  • I cashed in Swag Bucks for a $5 Amazon gift card to use towards holiday shopping later this year.
  • I received a Staples rebate in the mail.  I just need to get it deposited.
  • I often find myself hungry when I'm out running errands and have to fight the temptation to not hit a drive-thru.  I decided to pack my car with a few non-perishable snacks and drinks from my stockpile (obtained for free or super cheap) so I can take the edge off my hunger when I'm out and about. 
  • I saved electricity by baking 2 chickens at the same time in my oven earlier this week. After we ate one at dinner, I took the rest of the meat off of it and removed the meat from the second chicken.  After portioning and packaging up the cooked chicken, I froze it to use in future meals.  I also saved the carcass and will make chicken stock in the crock-pot.
  • I saved gas by staying home 1 day this week.
  • I matched sales and coupons at Tops but really saved the most by doing almost all of my "shopping" from my stockpile this week.
  • I did some baking on a cold day in order to help heat my kitchen.  When I was done using the oven, I opened the door ajar to help continue to heat the room while the stove cooled down. Today is another cold one, so I think I'll bake cookies later!
I'd love to hear any ideas you use for saving money, too!

2 comments:

  1. Great savings! It is amazing how the small things really do add up. I have started a weekly link up which will be posted every Friday if you would like to join.

    http://www.thriftywaysandideas.com/2012/02/ways-i-earnedsaved-money-this-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria! I will definitely head over and take a look at your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete