Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Tops deals of the week

I did well this week, in my opinion, but not quite as well as I had planned due to a glitch at the register.  I wanted to lower my out-of-pocket costs by rolling over some Catalina coupons I was earning (those are the coupons that print at the register and can be redeemed on a future order), so I separated my groceries into 3 transactions.  My first transaction was:

2 bottles of Hunt's ketchup - $0.50 each
On sale 10/$10, used 2 $0.25 coupons (these printed with "do not double" on them, but they automatically doubled to $0.50 at the register) from smartsource.com (use zip code 76018 if you don't see it)

4 boxes of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes - $2.00 each
On sale 4/$10, used 2 $1 off 2 coupons I printed online from the Kellogg's website (I don't see it now, but I'm not sure if it's just not available to me because I hit my print limit or if it is gone entirely)

1 box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran - $1.10
On sale 4/$10, used a $0.70 coupon (doubles to $1.40 -- see above note about the printable coupons from the Kellogg's website)

4 boxes of Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries - $2.00 each
On sale 4/$10, used 2 $1 off 2 coupons that I printed online that are no longer available

1 box of Cheerios - $1.50
On sale 4/$10, used $0.50 coupon (doubles to $1) I printed online that appears to no longer be available

While the above prices aren't stellar (especially for the Frosted Flakes and Cap'n Crunch), Tops is currently running an additional deal on cereal  that made it worth it to me.  For every 5 boxes of selected cereal you buy (all the ones I bought were included), you get a $3 Catalina coupon good on a future order.  Since I bought 10 boxes, I earned 2 $3 Catalinas which I used on transaction #2.  My total retail was $43.88, I paid $19.60, and I earned $6 in coupons to use on order #2.  Here is what I bought in my second transaction:

2 Gillette body washes, 2 Old Spice body washes, and 2 Old Spice deodorants - check out the math below!
On sale for $3.99 each, used 1 BOGO free coupon for the Gillette body washes and used 2 Buy 1 deodorant Get 1 body wash free coupon for the Old Spice (all coupons were from the 6/5 Proctor & Gamble coupon insert)

Tops is running a special where you buy $20 in select products, you get a $7 Catalina coupon.  This purchase qualified (6 x $3.99 = $23.94), and after my 3 manufacturer coupons (3 x $3.99 = $11.97 off) my total was $11.97.  Plus, I used my $6 in Catalina coupons from transaction 1 to get the total down to $5.97.  After tax, I paid $7.89 and earned a $7 Catalina coupon!  I was planning to use it on transaction #3 to reduce my out-of-pocket cost, but for reasons unknown the Catalina didn't print.  Since I already had everything loaded up onto the belt and didn't want to hold up the line, I went ahead and paid for the third order.  Afterwards, I took my receipt to customer service and they were able to print my coupon for me so I have it for the next time I shop there.  Anyway, here are the highlights of order #3:

3 cartons of Philly Cooking Creme - $1 each
On sale 2/$4, used 3 $1 off coupons (2 were online printables no longer available, 1 was from the 6/5 SmartSource coupon insert)

22 cups of Yoplait yogurt (yes, we love yogurt that much) - $0.45 each
On sale 10/$6, used 2 $0.60 off 8 coupons (each doubles to $1.20) from here and 1 $0.40 off 6 coupon (doubles to $0.80) from here

I also bought some produce items - no coupons :-(

A while ago I registered my Tops Bonus Card in the YourBucks program.  When I was printing yogurt coupons on the Coupon Network website, I noticed they list YourBucks Catalina coupon deals including one for Yoplait yogurt.  The offer expires 7/6 I think, but when you buy 20 Yoplait yogurts, you earn a $2 Catalina coupon to use on your next order.  So, I have that (plus my $7 coupon) to use the next time I shop at Tops.

Transaction #3 retail was $43.90, I paid $25.50 (would've been $18.70 had my $7 Catalina printed when it was supposed to - yes, I'm a little irked), and I earned $2 towards my next order.

Overall retail was $116.12, out-of-pocket cost was $52.99 for a savings of approximately 53%, and I have an automatic $9 in savings for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment