Monday, August 22, 2011

8/22 Target deals (and some venting!)

I hadn't been to Target in several weeks, but wanted to take advantage of some deals there today.  I generally love shopping at my local Target.  Notsomuch today.  I usually hit the store on a mid-week morning, but shopped Monday afternoon today.  It seems that all the registers opened when I got in line were being run by cashiers-in-training (I have no problems with this -- everyone has to learn and is new at one time or another).  Unfortunately, the employee who was supervising my cashier was less than knowledgeable about coupons (and of course, I had a bunch of coupons).  Now, I know there are couponers out there who are trying to pull a fast one and use coupons fraudulently.  However, I'm not one of them and I always play by the rules, read the wording and descriptions on my coupons, and familiarize myself with each store's coupon policy.  I only wish the store's own employees would do the same (especially if they are training other employees!).

Anyway, here is what I bought:

Transaction #1

1 bottle Up & Up baby shampoo - $0.87
This is where my trouble started.  This coupon appears regularly on Target's website and I have used it many, many times on both the baby shampoo and hair detangler.  I've never had an issue until today, when the "supervisor" told me that the coupon is good only on the color protecting shampoo (say what?!?) but that she'll let it go through just this once (really?!?).

1 pouch Tide single load detergent (travel/trial section) - FREE
Priced at $0.97 (although the shelf price said $0.99), used the $1 off any Tide detergent coupon from the 7/31 Proctor & Gamble coupon insert
As far as I can tell, this coupon scanned fine once my cashier actually scanned it.  The supervisor first told me that I didn't buy any Tide.  When I produced it from my bag, the issue was then that the coupon wasn't good for that size.  When I politely showed them the wording on the coupon and that it said "any Tide" and had no size restriction (which a lot of coupons do), he was finally allowed to scan it.

3 packages (3-packs) Trident White gum - $1.32 each
Priced at $1.99 each, used the $1 off 2 Trident 3-packs Target coupon and the $1 off 3 coupon from the 8/7 SmartSource coupon insert
For some reason, the Target coupon didn't scan but this time the cashier stood up for me and assured his supervisor that I indeed bought the correct items and quantities :-)

1 package (3-pack) Orbit White gum - $0.99
Priced at $1.99, used $1 off coupon from here (even though it is on the Target website, it is actually a manufacturer coupon)

6 packages of Lean and Hot Pockets - $1.63 each
4 were on sale for $2 each and I found 2 more on clearance for $1.90 each (the Philly Steak and Cheese Lean Pockets are being discontinued), used 2 $1 off 3 coupons from the 8/21 SmartSource insert

1 package Dannon Activia yogurt - $1.00

1 package Danimals yogurt smoothies - $1.00

1 package BIC Twin select razors (14-count) - $0.94
Priced at $2.94, used $2 off coupon from the 7/31 SmartSource

1 bottle of Garnier Fructis conditioner - $0.79
On sale for $2.79, used $1 off Garnier Fructis hair care item Target coupon and $1 manufacurer coupon from the 6/5 RedPlum coupon insert (there are also coupons in the 7/24 RedPlum insert and printable coupons here)
There are several varieties on sale for $2.79 and the one I picked had a bonus leave-in treatment attached to it.  The supervisor said my coupons wouldn't work because there was a free bonus product attached to the conditioner bottle, but she would push them through for me again "just this time."  Both coupons actually worked fine without being pushed through.  Go figure.
Update:  Oops!  I just realized that the bottle of conditioner I bought was 13 ounces and the Target coupon was for 24 ounces.  I feel bad for not using the coupon correctly.  :-(

2 packages Hefty One-Zip storage bags (7-count travel size) - $0.49 each
Priced at $0.99 each, used $1 off 2 coupon from the 8/14 Red Plum coupon insert

1 package Wet Ones wipes - $0.47
Priced at $0.97, used $0.50 off Wet Ones Target coupon 

3 bottles of Vitaminwater - $0.59 each
On sale for $0.88 each, used the Buy 2 Vitaminwaters Get 1 Free Target coupon

4 boxes (20-count pkg.) of Capri Sun - $2.87 each
Priced at $3.99 each, Target is currently running a buy 3 get 1 free promo, plus I used a $0.50 off a 10-count or 20-count Capri Sun Target coupon
Seeing how this is the equivalent of $1.44 per 10-pack which is currently on sale for $1.79 at Wegmans and priced at $2.50 at Tops, I think I will go back to Target for more of these later this week.  School will be starting soon and we'll be going through these quickly!

And I know that this will sound petty, but I brought 2 reusable bags in and both were used.  My cashier was going to give me the $0.05 credit twice, but the lady supervising him said to only give it to me once.  I generally only need 1 bag, but I've always been given $0.10 credit on the rare ocassions I bring in 2 bags.

My original total was $58.12 and I paid $37.29, for a savings of about 36%.  I left feeling like I really had to fight to earn every penny of it, too!  I also had a Catalina coupon print out good for 1 free packet of Kool-Aid.

When I was in the dairy/frozen section, I realized that the $4.99 Jose Ole tacquitos I bought earlier in Tops were $3.99 at Target.  Of course, I had all my Tops coupons out in my car, so I figured I'd return another day to buy them.  But, my son reminded me out in the parking lot that we forgot to buy a lock for his bike, so I figured I might as well grab the Jose Ole coupon and go back in for a few things.

Transaction #2

1 Master bike lock - $4.99
Not on sale and no coupon.  Rare for me!

1 packet of Kool-Aid - FREE
Priced at $0.22, used the free Catalina coupon from the previous order

1 box Jose Ole tacquitos - $1.99
On sale for $3.99, used $2 coupon from the 8/21 SmartSource coupon insert

1 package of Dannon Activia yogurt - $1
On sale for $2, used the $1 off Dannon Activia Target coupon

1 package of Danimals yogurt smoothies - $1
On sale for $2, used the $1 off Danimals Target coupon

The original total was $15.95 and I paid $9.40.

Hopefully I'll have fewer issues when I go back later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment