Friday, July 27, 2012

7/22 - 7/28 Wegmans "spare change shopping"

Do you ever find yourself strapped for cash and feel like you can't take advantage of any good deals at the grocery store because of it?  I made a trip to Wegmans today to grab a few items on what I refer to as a "spare change shopping trip."  Whether by necessity or not, sometimes I can get away with going to Wegmans with less than $5.  Think about it...If you combed the inside of your car and looked in your couch cushions, you could probably find close to 5 bucks in change, right?  Here are a few deals I bought for $4.84 (with $0.49 of it being tax):

1 gallon Wegmans milk - $1.99
On sale for $1.99, no coupon

4 boxes North Star popsicles - FREE
On sale for $0.99 each (on sale until tomorrow, 7/28), used 4 $0.50 coupons ("double" to $0.99) printed from their website (must register)

$.75 off On TWO (2) MILKY WAY Brand Singles Bars
4 Milky Way candy bars - $0.04 each, see note
Priced at $0.79 each, used 2 $0.75 off 2 coupons printed from here
Note: Milky Ways are on sale for less at Tops this week ($0.69, I think) but I've been hearing that their registers are programmed to attach only to the first candy bar instead of both, which is preventing the coupon from doubling and making them both free.  To avoid this potential issue, I decided to take my coupons to Wegmans and pay pennies for them instead.

1 pouch StarKist tuna - $0.84, see note
Priced at $1.39, used the $0.55 coupon from the 7/15 SmartSource coupon insert
Note: This coupon stated "do not double" on it, but I was kind of hoping it would.  Often I've had DND coupons double automatically at Wegmans' registers but this one did not.  If I get any more of these coupons, I'll probably try to hold out for a sale.

2 cans Pure Silk shaving cream - $0.19 each
Priced at $1.79, used 2 $0.80 coupons (double to $1.60) from the 7/8 Red Plum coupon insert

$0.75 off ONE (1) Suave Body Wash
Priced at $1.99 each, used 2 $0.75 coupons (double to $1.50) printed from here
Note: These coupons specifically state that only 2 may be used per shopping trip.

The retail total of this transaction was $23.45 and I paid $4.84 after Shoppers Club and coupons, for a savings of 79%.

Now, obviously this low budget shopping trip won't feed your family.  Hopefully you've been able to build a well-rounded stockpile which will allow you to feed your family on the items you've bought cheaply in the past, while you spend a few dollars to help build your stockpile of other items.  For example, I'm going to stock up on the candy bars and put them away for Halloween or Christmas stocking stuffers!

No comments:

Post a Comment