Saturday, July 28, 2012

Money Saving Challenge - wk 30 in review

These are the things I did this week to help save my family money:

  • I matched sales and coupons at Tops and Wegmans to help lower my grocery bill.  
  • We utilized the local public library for free books and kids' activities.
  • I combined errands on outings to help save on gas.
  • I avoided using the oven on the hottest days in order to keep the house cooler and help save on air conditioning costs.
  • I opened the windows to catch the cooler morning and evening breezes to also save on cooling costs, and avoided using the AC completely on cooler days.
  • I used the free raspberries from our plants at home for snacks and smoothies.
  • I cut the dishwasher tablets in half for each load.
  • My kids played several games in a free softball league.
  • I used buckets to catch the air conditioner condensation and rain to help water my plants.
  • One of my daughters had a birthday party to go to, so I was able to use a coupon at Joann's to purchase the gift she wanted to give at a reduced cost and was able to give it in a used (but in like-new condition) gift bag we already had.  When I realized we didn't have a birthday card on hand, my daughter chose to make one herself.
  • We brought drinks and snacks from home (purchased on sale and with coupons, of course!) on our outings this week so there was no temptation to stop and buy pricier food while we were out.
  • We utilized our local zoo membership for a fun, free outing. (While I did have to pay for the membership earlier in the year, we go often enough that it pays for itself after the 2nd or 3rd visit. Plus, it's nice to know that after the initial membership payment we can head to the zoo as many times as we want without any out-of-pocket costs.)
  • I broke down one night and ordered a pizza, but I used a BOGO coupon.  This gave us enough for leftovers the next day.
  • I found a bunch of "no beer purchase required" rebates that I'll be able to use to stock up on items for close to free.
Did you do anything in particular this week to help save some money? I'd love to read it in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment