Saturday, March 10, 2012

Money Saving Challenge - week 10 in review

Boy, this week flew by quickly.  I can't believe it's already Saturday!  Here is a look back on the things I did this week to help save money:
  • I matched sales and coupons at Tops to reduce my grocery costs, and tried to make sure I used as many coupons as possible in order to maximize my gas points.
  • I combined errands on my outings so I could conserve gas.
  • I stayed home 2 days in order to conserve gas.
  • I used no heat at all one day this week when it was unseasonably warm.
  • I received a box of Proctor & Gamble free samples and coupons.
  • I needed to buy a birthday card, so I went to the nearby CVS and used a $1 ExtraCare Buck that was expiring that day in order to lower my out-of-pocket expense and not waste the "free money."  Now if only I had remembered that I had a $10 CVS cash card in my wallet, I could have spent no money on it.  Grr!  :-(
  • My older daughter's birthday is tomorrow.  She wanted an American Girl doll for years and finally received one for Christmas, but has no clothes for it other than what the doll came with.  I went to Joann's and used their coupons, along with coupons from Michaels and A.C. Moore, to stock up on several 18" doll outfits.  Using the coupons, I was able to buy them each for 40% off their already-much-cheaper-than-official-American Girl prices. Shh!  Don't tell her until tomorrow! ;-)
  • I made my own liquid hand soap from a free bar of soap.  Results and tutorial to come soon!
  • I made a batch of homemade laundry detergent.  I know I've posted about this in the past, but I'll post another how-to soon.
  • When I drove my husbands car to the grocery store one day this week, I returned a couple empty soda bottles I found in it and used the money towards my groceries.
Have you done anything this week to help save or avoid spending money?  I'd love to read about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment