Saturday, March 24, 2012

Money Saving Challenge - week 12 in review

I feel like I really need to get back on the frugal bandwagon these days.  Here are the things I did this week to help save money:
  • I matched sales and coupons at Tops and Wegmans to save money on my groceries.
  • I saved the most money on my grocery expenses by doing the majority of my "shopping" from my existing stockpile.
  • I combined errands on my outings to help save money on gas. 
  • I stayed home 1 day this week to also save money on gas.
  • I redeemed my Tops gas points to get a discount of $2.30 per gallon.  I was able to get about 25 gallons at $1.67 per gallon, which saved me a little over $56 in gas.
  • I cooked a cheap cut of meat (smoked pork shoulder picnic, one of my favorites, bought previously on sale for only $0.99 per pound!) and had enough to serve dinner one night plus leftovers for 2 additional meals.  On top of that, I put the bone in my freezer to save for making soup or beans in my crockpot in the future.
  • I packed leftovers for my husbands work lunches.
  • I made sure not to run my dishwasher unless it was full, and I cut the tablets in half.  I find this has really been a saver -- the tablets don't clean any differently when I only use a half of one, so I'm getting them to last twice as long.
  • I took advantage of several freebie sample and coupon giveaways I found online at Vocalpoint and Facebook.
  • Because of the unseasonably warm weather, I didn't run the heat at all this entire week.  Hurray for the best March weather ever!

What are some things you did this week to save money?

2 comments:

  1. Great savings this week! Great price on the smoked pork shoulder. I have never tried that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria! Smoked pork shoulder has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid, but I don't find it very often at the grocery store for some reason.

    ReplyDelete