Thursday, May 3, 2012

4/29 - 5/5: More Tops deals

I headed back to Tops today for 2 more transactions.  Here is a breakdown of what I bought:

Transaction 1

1 1.25-liter bottle Diet Coke - FREE (plus tax and deposit)
On sale 3/$3, used a free product Catalina coupon from a previous shopping trip
*This earned a bonus Monopoly game ticket.

5 cans Hunt's Manwich - $1 each, see note below
On sale 10/$10, no coupons :-(

5 bottles Hunt's ketchup - $1 each
On sale 10/$10, no coupons :-(

Notes about the Hunt's purchases: I rarely buy things without a coupon, but these were an exception.  I kids practically inhale ketchup and I was completely out, so I really needed it.  We also make sloppy joes fairly often, so I like to have Manwich in the house.  There is a current store promotion where you earn a $3 Catalina coupon when you buy 10 select Hunt's products, which the ketchup and Manwich are part of.  I was willing to pay the sales price to get the Catalina to put towards transaction 2.  If you do this deal, make sure your Catalina prints!  Mine didn't, so after verifying I bought what I was supposed to the front end manager printed my coupon on the spot for me.

The retail cost of this transaction was $20.04 and I paid $10.13 after discounts and sales, for a savings of about 49%, plus I earned a $3 Catalina for use on transaction 2.

Transaction 2

2 bags Tostitos tortilla chips - $2.00 each, see notes
On sale 2/$6, used a $1 off 2 coupon from the 4/29 Pepsi coupon insert (I also $1/2 coupons on a tearpad on cases of beer -- Blue Light Lime, I think?) plus a Dollar Doubler coupon
Note: These, the Sunchips, and the Quaker granola bars are part of a "buy 6, get 200 bonus gas points" promo.  I actually didn't plan on buying the Tostitos and had to change my shopping plan on the fly.  I wanted to buy 2 boxes of Quaker soft baked cookies (2/$4 and I had a $1/2 coupon to use, and they were part of the promo) but they were sold out.  Since I wanted to do the gas points promotion, I opted to buy these to fulfill the requirements.

2 bags Sunchips - $2.00 each
On sale 2/$6, used a $1 off 2 coupon from the 4/29 Pepsi coupon insert plus a Dollar Doubler coupon

2 boxes Quaker chewy granola bars - $1.50 each
On sale 2/$5, used a $1 off 2 coupon from the 4/29 Pepsi coupon insert plus a Dollar Doubler
*These each earned a bonus Monopoly game piece

2 boxes Hostess Twinkies - $1.65 each
On sale BOGO ($4.29), used a $0.50 coupon from their Facebook page that no longer seems to be available (sorry!)

2 boxes Jennie-O turkey burgers - $4.99 each
On sale for $6.99 each, used 2 $2.00 coupons printed from here (try zip 12345 if you don't see it)

2 packages Land O'Frost lunch meat - $1.50 each
On sale BOGO ($4.99), used $1 off 2 printed from here (there's also a coupon in the 4/29 Red Plum coupon insert) plus a Dollar Doubler
*These earned bonus Monopoly tickets.

1 ZonePerfect bar - FREE
On sale for $1.25, used a free product coupon I received via snail mail

The total retail cost of this transaction was $60.47 and I paid $24.26 after discounts and coupons, for a savings of about 60%.

Overall, I paid $34.39 for $80.51 worth of groceries, for a savings of approximately 57%. I'm back up to a gas discount of $0.90 off per gallon (I already used my $4.00/gallon discount last week) and I have a few more coupons to use yet.

6 comments:

  1. Also the Pepsi Next is 2/$2 and with the coupon in the Pepsi Insert plus the doubler they would be FREE, and the Keebler cookies would only be $.60 after the sale 2/$4 and the coupon you previously tagged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, good call on the Keebler cookies! I looked right past those in the ad, so thanks for mentioning that. I have tons of Pepsi Next in my stockpile right now, but I did pull that coupon and it's in my plan for my next trip. I figure it's free (I even received a $0.25 coupon today on a Monopoly ticket) and I'll earn the gas points. I can always donate it if I don't think we'll drink it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just was at Tops, Helluva good cheese is on sale 2/$4, then got a coupon printout for $1.50 off 2 of the same cheese! Will be going back to get more when I go back to use more coupon doublers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, Christine! Cheese is one of the foods that doesn't last no matter how much I buy. I think my kids are part mice! There appears to be a coupon link on the Heluva Good website, but I get a message that the offer has expired the last few times I've tried to print it (I wish they'd either reset the coupon or take the link down!). Anyway, I passed on the cheese because I'm pretty sure that without the coupon I can get it cheaper at Aldi. Then lo and behold, I found a $1/2 Heluva Catalina in the parking lot on my way out of Tops today! I'm taking that sucker and a Dollar Doubler and adding it to tomorrow's list. If I get the same Catalina you got, I'll be doubly excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, great!! When we were there yesterday the lady who used the self-checkout ahead of us did not take her coupon for iced coffee so we snagged it (side question- if it says "manufacturer coupon" is that something I can use at another store, or tops only?). Then as we were walking out we found a coupon for B1G1 mcdonald's happy meals, the kids were thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Technically, I think you should be able to use a manufacturer Catalina anywhere, but I've honestly never tried it. I always end up using Tops ones at Tops and Target ones at Target. My kids would've been thrilled about the McDonald's coupon, too. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete