Friday, May 25, 2012

5/20 - 5/26 Tops deals

I want to apologize for not getting this week's shopping trips posted until so late.  This week has been an absolute bear for me with my allergies.  I've spent multiple days this week in a Zyrtec-induced allergy stupor and even though my shopping was done early on in the week, I just wasn't up to sitting at my computer for any length of time to post my match-ups.  Better late then never, here are my 3 transactions from the beginning of the week:
 Transaction 1

1 roll Reynolds non-stick foil - $1.49
On sale for $2.99, used the $0.75 coupon (doubles to $1.50) from their website
*This earned a bonus Monopoly game piece

4 packages Crystal Light - $1.50 each, see note
On sale 2/$4, used 2 $1 off 2 coupons from the 5/6 SmartSource coupon insert
Note: I think I've paid less for Crystal Light before, but these (along with the Country Time below)were part of a "buy 6 items, earn a $0.20 gas bonus" promo.  We drink a lot of this and with the gas points incentive, it was worth it for me.
*Each of these earned a bonus Monopoly game piece

2 canisters Country Time - $1.50 each
On sale 2/$4, used a $1 off 2 coupon from the 5/6 SmartSource coupon insert
*Each of these earned a bonus Monopoly game piece

1 1.25-liter bottle Diet Coke - FREE
On sale 3/$3, used a free product Catalina coupon from a previous shopping trip
*This earned a bonus Monopoly game piece

4 bottles Soft Soap hand soap - $1 each, see notes
On sale $2 each, used 4 $1 coupons printed from here (on one of my computers I saw a coupon link, but on another computer I only saw a little white arrow on the right side.  Click that arrow if you don't see a coupon link.  You'll have to register before you can print the coupon.)
Note: These were part of a 'buy 4 and get 200 bonus gas points' promo. Also, be sure to check the size of the soap you purchase.  The coupon specifies it's valid for soap 8-oz.+ and some of the soaps on the shelf were 7.5 ounces.

1 Fresh Express salad - $1.00
On sale 2/$4, used a $1 Tops coupon from the "Burst the Bags" instant win game

4 packages Trans Ocean Crab Classic imitation crab - $1.25 each ($2.49 for 2)
On sale BOGO ($3.49), used 2 $0.50 coupons (double to $1) printed from here

I also bought a $10 gift card (no coupon or sale).

The retail cost of this transaction was $65.88 and I paid $33.12 after discounts and coupons, for a savings of about 50%.

Transaction 2

2 bottles Kraft BBQ sauce - $0.50 each
On sale 10/$10, used the $1 off 2 coupon from the 5/6 SmartSource coupon insert

3 1.25-liter bottles Diet Coke - FREE
On sale 3/$3, used 3 free product Catalina coupons from a previous shopping trip
*These each earned a bonus Monopoly game piece

1 Fresh Express salad - $1.00
On sale 2/$4, used a $1 Tops coupon from the "Burst the Bags" instant win game

4 packages Trans Ocean Crab Classic imitation crab - $1.25 each ($2.49 for 2)
On sale BOGO ($3.49), used 2 $0.50 coupons (double to $1) printed from here

The retail cost of the 2nd transaction was $23.65 and I paid $7.37 after discounts and coupons, for a savings of almost 69%.


Transaction 3

4 Milky Way candy bars - FREE
On sale 3/$2, used 2 $0.75 off 2 coupons found here (These didn't double to $1.50 due to Tops' policy of no overage and the coupon amounts looked weird on the receipt, but they did take off a total of $2.67 which made everything free)

1 box of Jello gelatin - FREE
Priced at $0.89, I used a free product coupon I received from playing the Monopoly game

4 jars Smuckers ice cream topping - $1.17 each, see note
On sale 3/$5, used 2 $1 off 2 coupons from here
Note: I originally thought I could get these even cheaper, because I had some Monopoly coupons for Smuckers toppings.  When I doubled checked the coupons and the jars at the store, though, my coupons were for the 20-oz. products and the toppings on sale are only 12 ounces or so.
*These each earned a bonus Monopoly game piece.

1 box Tops gelatin - $0.67
On sale 3/$2, no coupons and it wasn't on my shopping list (rare for me!) but when I picked up my free Jello I had an idea for a dessert and needed a 2nd box of gelatin

2 pints blueberries - $2.50 each
On sale BOGO ($4.99), no coupons

1 carton Tops ice cream - $2.54
On sale for $2.79, used a $0.25 Tops Monopoly coupon (this was another impulse purchase, but after buying 4 jars of ice cream toppings, who can blame me? :-))
*This earned a bonus Monopoly game piece.

1 package Kraft Fresh Takes - FREE
Priced at $3.29, used a free product coupon I received via snail mail

1 dozen Tops medium eggs - FREE
Priced at $1.09, used a free product Monopoly coupon

The retail cost of the last transaction was $34.71 and I paid $13.79 after discounts and coupons, for a savings of 60%.

I will head back one more time tomorrow to grab some Snyder's pretzels.  They're on sale 2/$6, but between the coupons in the 5/20 SmartSource insert, the Monopoly coupons I have for them, and a SavingStar deal (get $5 back when you buy $15 worth), they should work out to a pretty decent price.

So far this week, I've spent $54.28 on $124.24 worth of groceries (abut 56% savings) and have already earned a gas discount of $0.60 per gallon.

4 comments:

  1. Just a heads up, you may already know this but be sure to check your receipts to make sure they are giving you the correct # of gas points. I made a purchase this week and was looking at my receipt and realized they shorted me 125 gas points based on how many coupons I used and the dollar amount I spent. I went to the service desk and they were able to add the missing points to my card. I *think* what happened was that some of my coupons wouldn't scan and the cashier punched in some general code to give me the discount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, Christine! I'm glad you caught the error and they were able to adjust you gas points. I have always just assumed by point totals are correct, but now I'll be more vigilant about looking them over. Thank you for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had another issue with being shorted on gas points on my shopping trip today. After some discussion with the service desk they told me that there is a limit of 10 coupons per transaction for gas-points earning purposes. This info is not in the ad or on the receipt or in their written coupon policy. The service guy finally found it in the tiny print in the gas points brochure, which he had to search the store for.... so I will be having to break up my transactions from now on! I told him I was perfectly happy to play by the rules, I just need to know what they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. During gas points earning periods, I always break my transactions up if I have more than 10 manufacturer coupons in order to maximize my gas points. I started doing that last year because I remember reading about the limit on the receipt. I don't have a receipt handy but that sure stinks and seems unfair if they removed that message from it. Boo on them for trying to be sneaky about the rules!

    ReplyDelete