Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 1: 12 Days of Frugal Stockpile Meals

This is the time of year when everyone seems to advertise their "12 days of" whatever.  Well, since I've been really cherry-picking the grocery deals the past few weeks I decided today to do a lot of cooking with items from my stockpile that I've bought pretty inexpensively by combining sales and coupons.  To keep in the festive spirit, I'll be blogging my "12 Days of Frugal Stockpile Meals." 

Tonight's dinner was lobster alfredo with a side of broccoli:


I am not a fancy cook, my family is not picky when it comes to eating, and I'm neither a great photographer nor a food stylist. :-)  My goal for the next 12 days is to create low-cost meals using foods in my stockpile.  Unless otherwise noted, beverages were either water or milk.

Here are the ingredients and a cost break-down:


  • Mueller's spaghetti - free
  • Ragu alfredo sauce - $1.67
  • Trans Ocean imitation lobster - $0.63 (I paid $1.25 for the package, but I only used half of it tonight.  The remainder will be used tomorrow.)
  • Birds Eye Steamfresh broccoli - $0.67
Total cost for a meal for a family of 5: $2.97 ($0.59 per person).

Stay tuned for tomorrow's meal...

In the meantime, I'd love to hear about any frugal stockpile meals you enjoy making and serving your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment