Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 2: 12 Days of Frugal Stockpile Meals

Tonight's chef salad and "milk shake" dinner is day 2 of my frugal stockpile meals (sorry, I have no idea why the picture is on it's side and I can't seem to rotate it!):

This one is a little harder for me to do a cost break-down for, but I'll give it a try:
  • Leaf lettuce - $1.10 (I bought a total of $3.30 worth of lettuce last week, and I'd estimate I used about 1/3 of it for tonight's salad).
  • Mushrooms - $0.50 ($1 for the package, only used half of it)
  • Trans Ocean imitation lobster - $0.62 (used the remaining half of last night's $1.25 package)
  • Hard boiled eggs - $0.26 (I *think* I paid $1.04 per dozen after my coupon and I used 3 eggs in the salad)
  • Kraft Ranch salad dressing - $0.11 (I paid $0.44 for the bottle and I'd estimate we used about 1/4 of it tonight, maybe less)
  • Pomegranate seeds - $0.04 (I paid $1 for the pomegranate and found it yielded about 1.5 cups of seeds, and I used 3 teaspoons worth in the salad)
  • Tops brown and serve rolls - $0.50 (This wasn't on my original meal plan, but I swear the coupon and sales gods were smiling down on me today.  I found these marked from $2.39 down to $0.50 today when I stopped by to pick up milk and cereal)
  • "Milkshake" - $0.17 (No milk in the shake, I combined a carton of International Delight White Chocolate Raspberry coffee creamer and ice in the blender.  I topped it with a few fresh raspberries I picked for free from my backyard raspberry bush.  Fresh raspberries in December in Rochester.  How amazing is that?!)
Total cost for a meal for a family of 5: $3.30 ($0.66 per person).

Stay tuned for tomorrow's meal...

If you have a favorite frugal stockpile meal you enjoy making and serving your family, I'd love to hear about it in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment