Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 5: 12 Days of Frugal Stockpile Meals

Tonight's dinner was quesadillas with sides of yellow rice and corn, and apple cider to drink:
The ingredients and cost breakdown are:
  • Mission tortillas - $0.50 (used half of a $1.00 package)
  • Wellsley Farms shredded cheddar cheese - $0.49 (I generally can't stockpile cheese because we seem to eat it as soon as I bring it home.  Instead, I used about 3/4 cup of a 10-cup package I bought at BJ's Wholesale Club for $6.59.)
  • Goya black beans - $0.17  (used at most 1/4 of a $0.69 can)
  • Zatarain's yellow rice - $0.50 (I think I remember paying $0.50 for this, but I can't find my receipt to confirm)
  • Birds Eye Steamfresh corn - $0.67
  • Tops apple cider - free
Total cost for a meal for a family of 5: $2.33 ($0.47 per person).

I often make quesadillas by just melting cheese between 2 tortillas in the microwave (so quick and easy when I need to get dinner on the table in a hurry, and my kids really like them), but I decided to change it up tonight.  My kids have spoken: these were much better than the "old way." :-)

If you've never made them, they're actually very simple.  I put a tortilla in a skillet over medium-high heat and flipped it over after about 10 seconds or so.  I sprinkled some cheese on half of the tortilla and topped the cheese with some beans, then using a spatula I flipped the other side of the tortilla over to cover it (like an omelet).  After a few seconds, I flipped the entire quesadilla over to brown the other side a little more.  Remove it to a plate and cut into fourths for easy eating.  I had originally planned on cooking up some chicken and adding it to the cheese and beans, but I forgot to take it out of the freezer.  Oops!  Maybe next time. ;-)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's frugal stockpile meal...

Is there a new recipe you've tried or a favorite meal you make regularly using your stockpile?  I'd love to read about it in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I make quesadillas often and we all love them! My favorite dishes to make (and usually the cheapest) are rice & bean dishes. I will usually start off with a huge batch of white rice, black beans, pink beans, corn and sometimes add diced olives or sauteed onions. We will start off just eating the rice & beans as is in a bowl (maybe topped with sour cream and a lot of pepper) and then the next night the rice & bean mixture will get thrown in a tortilla with sour cream, cheese & guacamole. Then day 3 whatever is left gets made into quesadillas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you stretch one meal into three. I do bean and rice dishes ocassionally, but if the sales don't start getting better for me I might be serving beans and rice a lot more often. And mMy kids love tortillas so much, I swear I could through *anything* into one and they'd eat it. LOL

    ReplyDelete