Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 9: 12 Days of Frugal Stockpile Meals

For a change of pace, I thought I'd feature a typical school lunch as my frugal stockpile meal of the day.  When I pack my kids' lunches, I generally have a main component (ex: sandwich, yogurt, or soup), a drink, a fruit or vegetable, and a snack or treat item.  The ingredients and cost breakdown of my daughter's lunch today are:
  • PB&J sandwich - $0.15 (2 slices of $0.89 Aldi's white bread = $0.09, 1 serving of $0.50 jar Peter Pan peanut butter = $0.04, 1 serving of $0.16 jar of Smucker's jam = $0.01)
  • Horizon organic milk - free
  • Pomegranate seeds - $0.17 (1 fruit = $1, and each fruit yielded about 1.5 cups of seeds.  I used 1/4 cup in her lunch)
  • "S'mores-in-a-bag" - $0.09
Total cost of a school lunch for 1 child = $0.41.

It may not have as many components as the school's lunch program, but it sure beats paying $2.00 for food that my kids probably won't eat all of anyway.

Did you stock up on the cheap Golden Grahams and Cocoa Puffs last week at Tops?  Are you looking for a way to use them up, besides eating them with milk?  I came up with the "S'mores-in-a-bag" idea since I had so many boxes. I tested them out on my kids and all 3 of them loved it!  Here's now to make it...Combine a box of Golden Grahams ($0.80), a box of Cocoa Puffs ($0.80) and half a bag of Aldi  mini marshmallows ($0.89/bag = $0.45 for this recipe).  Easy peasy.  It makes a ton (I filled 2 gallon-size Ziploc bags), I'm estimating at least 25 kid-size lunch servings.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's frugal stockpile meal...

Do you have a frugal snack you've created using your grocery stockpile?  Share it in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome idea on the smores in a bag! I am doing that for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It definitely received kid approval, and it's a good way to slowly but surely use up some cereal. We have more Golden Grahams than Cocoa Puffs at this point, so if I make it again I may use chocolate chips in place of the Cocoa Puffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the stockpile meals posts. Great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Hillary! I figure as long as the sales are crummy and I'm using my stockpiled groceries, I might ad well let people know how they might want to use their cheap buys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice too especially if someone is local because we all get the same deals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's true, Amanda. I know I get frustrated sometimes when I see the deals in other regions and wish I could relate to them. :-(

    ReplyDelete