Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 10: 12 Days of Frugal Stockpile Meals

For tonight's dinner, I used leftover turkey I had frozen from Thanksgiving and made turkey and gravy over egg noodles with a side of broccoli:

The ingredients and cost breakdown are:

  • Turkey - $0.72 (I raided my freezer for approximately 1.5 pounds of leftover Thanksgiving turkey priced at $0.48 per pound)
  • Heinz homestyle gravy - $1
  • No Yolks noodles - $0.47
  • Birds Eye Steamfresh broccoli - $0.67
Total cost of a meal for a family of 5: $2.86 ($0.57 per person).

Tonight I found that having a wide variety a foods in my stockpile not only makes for cheap meals, but helps when I need to make a change on the fly.  Originally I had planned on making a crock pot recipe but when I realized I wasn't going to be home at the correct time to turn it on, I had to make a quick change in my meal plan.  I had then considered making another meal in the oven, but I wasn't able to get home in time to make a dinner that would require a longer baking time.  Being able to pull items from my stockpile and make up a new meal quickly was a real life-saver today.   I'd be lying if I said the thought of hitting a fast-food drive-thru didn't cross my mind tonight, but I buckled down and made use of what I had.  And my wallet is now thanking me for it! :-)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's frugal stockpile meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment